Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Financial Model Needs Work

I got some very blunt feedback from a business coach yesterday. He liked my executive summary, said it was well-written, but he thought my growth curve and expenses were unrealistic.

I've been having a hard time making the right assumptions about the business. The number of technical heads, the length of time to produce a widget, the number of business heads for marketing and sales, the number of widgets sold per month, the number of alliances/partners, etc...

This was my first attempt at financial projections and I was trying to fit the business into the hockey-stick curve. Wrong idea. So my next go around in the coming days will be purely bottom-up with less focus on achieving the 10x return on investment after 5 years. We'll see what happens.

-john

No comments: